Thursday, March 10, 2016

Wolf Children (2012): Howl We Get Through This Together?

No comments :
Wolf Children (2012) is about a single mother who
learns how to raise her pups, who are half human and
half wolf, and helps them find their identity.
Being resilient is one of the hardest lessons we face in life. How can we move on when life dealt you bad-handed? It shouldn't be hard when you have adorable wolf pups to play and cuddle with! But some of us aren't that lucky.

Hana, an independent college student in Tokyo, comes across a mysterious student who makes a sudden appearance in her classroom. He later reveals himself to her as a "wolf man" - half man and half wolf and can turn to each by his own will.

She steadfast falls in love with him and they remain in a quiet corner of the city to avoid being exposed. After a few years they have children together, a girl, Yuki, and a boy, Ame.



On a rainy day, a catastrophic event happens and the wolf man dies leaving Hana and the children with very little to survive on. Hana has to quit her part-time job and put college on hold in order to raise her pups.

Like their father, the children grows up also half human and half wolf. Yuki grows up to be a "ravenous" and boisterous child while Ame is "frail," quiet and reserved. With no idea and help on how to raise wolf pups, Hana deals with the difficulties of trying to raise her wolf children and avoid the consequences of her family being exposed. There's a specific scene where Yuki gets sick and Hana is hesitant between taking her to a vet or a hospital.

Because her children had very little freedom growing up to either be a human or a wolf without concealing their bestial features, Hana decides to move to the rural city to give them that choice. As they quickly adjust to the rural life, Yuki and Ame grow up, both trying to seek and understand their identity.



Aaannnndddd...that pretty much sums up almost half of the story!

Wolf Children is a Japanese animation produced by Director Mamoru Hosoda and released in 2012. Hosoda is also well-known for his other animations, such as the more popular, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006) and Summer Wars (2009). Wolf Children revolves around the theme of family, motherhood, maturation, identity and resilience. All great themes!

While watching the movie, things that I did find distasteful was the abrupt beginning of Hana and the wolf man's relationship. It reminded me of Twilight, and I'm not the biggest fan of the movie. I personally thought it was unnatural and not the best way to start the movie. Not to mention the very awkward, bestial and hentai-ish looking sexual scene that lasts for under 10 seconds-but-was-still-what-the-heck-just-happened that everyone is going off about!!! It made me cringe. So beware of that! I really wanted to know the background behind both characters, however, I know that will probably extend the movie even longer. Other than that, the movie does drag a bit in some parts though so I would advise patience!

Overall, I personally loved this film! I'm so glad I took a chance on it. I thought it was beautiful and enchanting. The animation - OH THE ANIMATION - was so beautifully executed, especially with the pups!  Let's be honest here though, I only watched it for the pups, something I'm sure Hosoda might have intended in order to sell this to his audience. If you're familiar or have seen My Neighbor Totoro produced by Ghibli Studio then you should definitely watch Wolf Children; it's the same level of cuteness! I rarely watch anime movies. If I do, it's often Ghibili Studio films, and maybe perhaps Hosoda's after this.

It's a cute movie! I loved it. WATCH IT FOR THE PUPS! They will make you squeal and die!
Like my punny title by the way? It makes me giggle!





No comments :

Post a Comment